Enjoy a Breath of Fresh Air
Smoking of tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, is prohibited in city parks and playgrounds, along the boardwalk and accessways, the bandstand plaza, and the beach and dune crossings. Having smoke-free areas in the city reduces:
- negative impacts of improperly discarded tobacco products, whether extinguished or still lighted
- the labor necessary to clean up such debris
- toxic leachate that contributes to pollution of the environment
- chances of harmful ingestion by aquatic life, mammals, birds, and children
- significant threat of fires
- the potential for injury from barefoot members of the public stepping on discarded but still lighted butts
- "second-hand smoke" (sometimes referred to as "passive" or "involuntary" smoking), which is harmful to human health and poses a variety of health risks, ranging from cancer to emphysema to asthma attacks.
While voluntary compliance is expected in smoke-free areas, City code allows for issuance of citations for violations. Thank you for your observance of this law.
Download our Smoke-Free Initiative Brochure for more information.
City parks and children's playgrounds
Boardwalk and accessways
Beach* and dune crossings
*except for designated smoking areas