Feb 24, 2021
Barriers in front of restaurants in 2020 allowed for outside dining and pedestrian safety
With plans underway for the upcoming summer season, restaurants have begun applying for the permit that allows outdoor seating on sidewalks and public areas, the City of Rehoboth Beach reports.
Applications are under review and City staff are contacting restaurants.
The City, earlier this month, advised restaurants that if they wanted to offer outdoor seating that encroached upon public spaces, as they were allowed to do last year under the Governor’s State of Emergency Order, they would have to make an application no later than March 1, 2021.
“The March 1 deadline gives the City time to coordinate with the restaurants to maintain public safety during the pandemic so that outdoor dining can begin by the first weekend in April,” says City Manager Sharon Lynn.
City staff will be establishing how much distance is needed for pedestrians to be able to walk around the dining areas and avoid traffic at the same time. They also will be determining how many barriers each restaurant will need. Much like last year and following the Governor’s State of Emergency Order, the City is implementing a use of public outdoor space operating plan similar to the one that was in effect until November 1, 2020.
Retail businesses that place racks outside of their stores can have them up to three feet from the side of the building. If the businesses require racks that extend any farther than three feet from the building, they must also apply for an outdoor seating application.
The Application for Outdoor Seating application form can be found on the City’s website under Forms.
“While we are complying with the Governor’s Order, the most important goal is to keep people safe,” Lynn says.
For more information, please contact the Communications Department at 302-227-6181 ext. 522 or [email protected].