You are here
Residential Rental Licenses
The Residential Rentals Ordinance is to establish regulations for such use of residential rentals enabling the City to preserve the public health, safety and welfare of occupants. This ordinance shall apply to all residential rentals, except hotels, motels, inns, tourist homes, rooming and boarding houses, cabins and cottages.
Please use our Citizen Self Service Business License Search for all current Residential Rental business license holder information.
Residential Rentals are available under the Lodging category and broken down by type: Houses, Apartments, Cabins, Cottages, Efficiency Apartments, and Rooms Rented.
The ordinance requires each landlord to adhere to the following actions:
- Provide the City with a local contact person that can be contacted 24/7 when necessary to assist in remediating concerns about a rental property.
- Conduct and submit to the City a self-inspection Annual Safety Certification for Rental License Application of each rental property focusing on life safety, property maintenance and City Code requirements.
- Require landlords to educate their tenants on how to be a good tenant and neighbor.
- Post a residential rental business license, local contact information and other City Ordinance requirements in a conspicuous place within the rental.
- Set occupancy limitations or apply for a time-limited exception of the new occupancy limits.
- Penalties for violations and non-compliance will be enforced.
Each new rental property, upon application for business license or change of property ownership, is required to be inspected by the City to ensure compliance with City Ordinances, State Regulations, and the 2012 International Property Maintenance Code. For existing rentals the landlord is required to submit a self-inspection Annual Safety Certification for Rental License Application of the property annually at the time of renewal. Items included in the inspection process for both new and existing rentals include the following:
- Exterior property areas are to be maintained in a clean and safe condition.
- Address markings are required and must meet requirements for visibility and size.
- Interior dwelling must be maintained in a clean and safe condition.
- Windows, doors and associated hardware must operate as designed and meet code requirements for egress.
- Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) must be installed in all bathrooms and kitchen receptacles servicing countertop surfaces.
- Smoke detectors must be installed and properly maintained.
- Emergency escape openings must be maintained in accordance with the building code in effect at the time of construction.
To assist the landlord, the Residential Rental Safety Certification Pictorial and Residential Rental Inspection flyer are available to download.
The Residential Rentals Ordinance also regulates overnight occupancy limitations that are permitted to be maintained for each property. The overnight occupancy shall not exceed two persons per bedroom plus an additional two persons. For example, a rental dwelling that is three bedrooms will have a maximum occupancy of eight occupants. Children six years of age or younger are not included in the occupant count. A landlord can apply for a time-limited exception exceeding the new occupancy limitations with approval time form the City Manager. To receive consideration the rental property must meet the following requirements:
- Exception request must be received by the City Manager no later than April 4, 2017.
- The landlord must demonstrate that the residential rental has been occupied by at least the number of individuals requested for at least twenty (20) consecutive or nonconsecutive days between January 1, 2015, and April 4, 2016.
- The landlord must demonstrate that the requested occupancy limit will not be a detriment to public health, safety or welfare.
- The landlord must permit a City Inspector to perform an inspection of the property to determine adequate accommodations and life safety features.
- If granted, the exception shall be effective until December 31, 2018, and may be reauthorized thereafter by the City Manager upon request.
All current landlords are required to submit the Annual Safety Certification for Rental License Application and apply for a Residential Rental Business License at:
City of Rehoboth Beach
Building and Licensing Department
229 Rehoboth Avenue
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware 19971
Please contact Building and Licensing at 302-227-6181 x222 for additional information or questions.