You are here
Review the rules of the road when it comes to keeping our friends and family safe when out riding their bikes.
- Bike riders under the age of 18 must wear a helmet.
- Bike riders have the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicle drivers.
- Bike riders must obey traffic signals, stop signs and all other vehicular traffic rules and regulations.
- Ride in the right lane except when passing another vehicle, preparing for a left turn or avoiding hazards.
- In a group of riders, stay in a single file.
- Use hand and arm signals to indicate right or left turns.
- Always yield to pedestrians.
- Any passenger must be in an approved passenger seat.
- At all times, bicycles must have a rear red reflector visible from 600 feet to the rear.
- From dusk to dawn, bicycles must have a white front light visible from 500 feet.
- From dusk to dawn, bicycles must have a reflective material visible from 600 feet on both sides and to the rear or lighted lamp visible from 500 feet.
- The use of earplugs or headsets while riding is prohibited.
Riding on the Boardwalk
May 15 to September 15: Bikes permitted from daybreak to 10 a.m.
Balance of the year: Bikes permitted all day.
Riding on City Sidewalks
Age 12 and older – not permitted anywhere.
Under age 12 – OK, except not permitted in the downtown area-Rehoboth Avenue from Boardwalk to Sixth Street and First Street from Virginia Avenue (on the north) to Brooklyn Avenue (on the south).
Electronic Versions of Delaware Bicycle Maps
- Rehoboth-Lewes Region Trails and Pathways
- Sussex County Bike Map Cover
- Sussex County Bike Map
- Bike at the Beach Map
Interactive Online Bike Trip Planning Map
*Google Based Map that provides Cue Sheets, and allows bicyclists to customize routes.