You are here
Enjoy a Breath of Fresh Air!
The Commissioners of the City of Rehoboth Beach determined that providing smoke-free areas where the smoking of tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars and pipes is prohibited:
- Reduces the negative impacts of improperly discarded tobacco products whether extinguished or still lighted
- Reduces Litter
- Reduces the labor to clean up such debris
- Reduces toxic leachate that contributes to pollution of the environment
- Reduces chances of harmful ingestion by aquatic life, mammals, birds and children
- Reduces the significant threat of fires
- Reduces the potential for injury from barefoot members of the public stepping on discarded but still lighted butts
- Reduces "second-hand smoke" (sometimes referred to as "passive" or "involuntary" smoking) which is harmful to human health, posing a variety of health risks, ranging from cancer to emphysema to triggering asthma attacks, noting that the Surgeon General has determined that no amount of second-hand smoke is safe.?
Pictured l-r: Deb Brown, President and CEO of the American Lung Association of the Mid-Atlantic; Stan Mills, City of Rehoboth Beach Commissioner; Mike Peterman, City Streets Department Supervisor.
Therefore the Commissioners of the City of Rehoboth Beach established smoke-free areas within the city where smoking is prohibited. Smoking is defined as the burning of a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe or any other matter or substance that contains tobacco.
While voluntary compliance is expected, City code allows for issuance of citations for violations. Thank you for your observance of this law.
Download our Smoke-Free Initiative Brochure 2014 for more information.
This smoke-free initiative was made possible in part through the Delaware Division of Public Health’s Tobacco Prevention Community Contract. Funding for the Contract is provided by the Delaware Health Fund and managed by the American Lung Association.
Smoke Free Areas
City Parks and Children's Playgrounds
The Boardwalk and Accessways
The Bandstand Plaza
The Beach* and Dune Crossings
*except for designated smoking areas