If you do not meet minimum eligibility standards, you will not be considered for police cadet positions.
Age & Citizenship
- Applicant must by a United States citizen.
- Applicant must 19 years old by June 1, 2022.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Applicants with prior military service must have been honorably discharged and/or have a record of positive conduct during military service.
Health & Wellness
- Applicants must have no impediment of the senses.
- Applicants must have acuity of vision of not more than 20/200 corrected to 20/20 in each eye.
- Applicants must have the ability to distinguish between red, green, and amber colors; shall have no pathology of the eyes; and possess acceptable depth perception.
- Applicants must possess normal hearing in both ears per current standards.
- Applicants must not have any physical deformities that would be detrimental to proper performance of cadet duties.
- Applicant's weight must be proportionate to height and build or body fat percentage.
Applicant must be a high school graduate. All applicants must have graduated from an accredited high school or possess a G.E.D. and be able to provide proof of graduation.
- Any felony or domestic violence conviction is an automatic disqualification.
- Any criminal activity that would be considered a felony under federal law or in the state in which the activity occurred is a disqualification.
- Any arrest or conviction that indicates a pattern of disregard for the law and/or frequent behavior of an undesirable nature may result in disqualification.
- Any commitments for a mental disorder to any hospital, mental institution, or sanitarium that would prevent an applicant from possessing a deadly weapon (firearm) as provided in section 1448, Title 11 of the Delaware criminal code is a disqualification.
- Any arrest or conviction for any other crime and/or offense is subject to review at the time the application is submitted.
- Any arrest for an offense must be expunged, and any conviction of an offense must be pardoned prior to submitting an application.
- Any use of mind-altering hallucinogenic drugs, such as LSD, PCP, heroin or any of its derivatives is an automatic disqualification.
- Any use of an illegal drug within one year prior to submitting an application is an automatic disqualification.
- Excessive experimental use of marijuana and/or more than two uses of cocaine or their derivatives may result in disqualification.
- The sale or delivery of any non-narcotic or narcotic-controlled substance, as defined in Title 16 of the Delaware criminal code, after the age of 21 will be an automatic disqualification.
- All other drug use, including illegally using prescribed drugs, is subject to review at the time the application is submitted.
- Any use of a controlled substance after having filed an application for employment as a seasonal police cadet may result in a disqualification.
- Applicants must pass a drug-screening test prior to appointment.
- A DUI conviction within the previous five years is an automatic disqualification.
- Any motor vehicle conviction for failing to stop at the command of a police officer; leaving the scene of a personal injury accident; or criminal negligence resulting in death, homicide, or assault will result in an automatic disqualification.
- Any driving record/history that indicates poor, dangerous, or otherwise undesirable driving habits may result in disqualification.
- Any driving record/history that indicates that the operation of an automobile by the applicant might endanger the safety of the public may result in disqualification.
- Any driving record/history that indicates that the applicant has been found to use narcotics or other drugs or alcoholic beverages that impairs their ability to operate a motor vehicle may result in disqualification.
- Any license suspension or revocation within three years of the closing date of the job announcement is an automatic disqualification.
- Any alcohol-related driving arrests and overall driving history will be subject to review at the time the application is submitted.