You are here
Seasonal Police Cadet Qualifications
The following is a guide for applicant eligibility standards. If you do not meet the minimum eligibility standards, you will not be considered for the process.
Age & Citizenship
- Applicant must by a United States citizen.
- Applicant must 19 years old by June 1st, 2019.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Applicants with prior military service must have been honorably discharged and/or have a record of positive conduct during military service.
Health & Wellness
- Applicants must have no impediment of the senses.
- Applicants must have acuity of vision not more than 20/200 corrected to 20/20 in each eye.
- Applicants must have the ability to distinguish between the colors of red, green, and amber; shall have no pathology of the eyes; possess acceptable depth perception.
- Applicants must possess normal hearing in both ears per current standard.
- Applicants must not have any physical deformities, which would be detrimental to proper performance of cadet duties.
- Applicant's weight must be proportionate to height and build or body fat percentage.
Applicant must be a high school graduate. All applicants must have graduated from an accredited high school or possess a G.E.D. and be able to provide proof of graduation.
- Any felony or domestic violence conviction is an automatic disqualification.
- Any criminal activity that would be considered a Felony under Federal Law of the State in which the activity occurred is a disqualification.
- Any arrest or conviction that indicates a pattern of disregard for the law and/or frequent behavior of an undesirable nature may result in disqualification.
- Any commitments for a mental disorder to any hospital, mental institution or sanitarium that would prevent an applicant from possessing a deadly weapon (firearm) as provided in section 1448, Title 11 of the Delaware Criminal code is a disqualification.
- Any arrest or conviction for any other crime and/or offense is subject to review at the time the application is submitted.
- Any arrest for an offense must be expunged and any conviction of an offense must be pardoned, prior to submitting an application.
- Any use of mind-altering hallucinogenic drugs, such as LSD, PCP, etc., heroin or any of its derivatives is an automatic disqualification.
- Any use of an illegal drug within one year prior to submitting an application is an automatic disqualification.
- Excessive experimental use of Marijuana and/or more than two (2) uses of Cocaine or their derivatives may result in disqualification.
- The sale or delivery of any non-narcotic or narcotic controlled substance, as defined in Title 16 of the Delaware Criminal Code, after the age of 21 will be an automatic disqualification.
- All other drug use, including illegally using prescribed drugs, is subject to review at the time the application is submitted.
- Any use of a controlled substance after having filed an application for employment as a Seasonal Police Cadet may result in a disqualification.
- Applicants must pass a drug-screening test prior to appointment.
- A DUI conviction within the previous five (5) years is an automatic disqualification.
- Any motor vehicle conviction for Failing to Stop at the command of a Police Officer, Leaving the scene of a Personal Injury Accident, Criminal Negligence resulting in death, homicide, or assault will result in an automatic disqualification.
- Any driving record/history that indicates poor, dangerous, or otherwise undesirable driving habits may result in disqualification.
- Any driving record/history that indicates that the operation of an automobile by the applicant might endanger the safety of the public may result in disqualification.
- Any driving record/history that indicates that the applicant has been found to use narcotics or other drugs or alcoholic beverages that impairs their ability to operate a motor vehicle may result in disqualification.
- Any license suspension or revocation within three (3) years of the closing date of the job announcement is an automatic disqualification.
- Any alcohol-related driving arrests and overall driving history will be subject to review at the time the application is submitted.